2016 Horror Rated R 92 Minutes
|In Theaters||February 19, 2016|
|On 4K UHD||Not Available|
|On Blu-ray||May 17, 2016|
|On DVD||May 17, 2016|
Set in New England circa 1630, The Witch follows a farmer who get cast out of his colonial plantation and is forced to move his family to a remote plot of land on the edge of an ominous forest rumored to be controlled by witches. Almost immediately, strange and unsettling things begin to happen-the animals turn violent, the crops fail, and one of the children disappears, only to return seemingly possessed by an evil spirit. As suspicion and paranoia mount, everyone begins to point the finger at teenage daughter Thomasin. They accuse her of witchcraft, which she adamantly denies...but as circumstances become more and more treacherous, each family member's faith, loyalty, and love will be tested in shocking and unforgettable ways.
Rated R for disturbing violent content and graphic nudity.
Box office gross: $25.1 million. View box office history.
Released by A24 Films. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Review: 'Hereditary' joins a growing list of new horror classics
- Review: 'Beast' is both beautiful and frightening
- Review: A24 delivers another slow-burn winner with 'The Blackcoat's Daughter'
- Monday Mixer: 'Kong' is the 'King' of the box office
- A look back at the films I watched in 2016
- Review: They really should not have let 'Morgan' out