2008 Musical/Comedy Rated PG-13 108 Minutes
|In Theaters||July 18, 2008|
|On 4K UHD||May 1, 2018|
|On Blu-ray||December 16, 2008|
|On DVD||December 16, 2008|
An independent, single mother who owns a small hotel on an idyllic Greek island, Donna (Streep) is about to let go of Sophie (Amanda Seyfried), the spirited daughter she’s raised alone. For Sophie’s wedding, Donna has invited her two lifelong best girlfriends—practical and no-nonsense Rosie (Julie Walters) and wealthy, multi-divorcee Tanya (Christine Baranski)—from her one-time backing band, Donna and the Dynamos. But Sophie has secretly invited three guests of her own.
On a quest to find the identity of her father to walk her down the aisle, she brings back three men from Donna’s past to the Mediterranean paradise they visited 20 years earlier. Over 24 chaotic, magical hours, new love will bloom and old romances will be rekindled on this lush island full of possibilities. Inspired by the storytelling magic of ABBA’s songs from “Dancing Queen” and “S.O.S.” to “Money, Money, Money” and “Take a Chance on Me,” Mamma Mia! is a celebration of mothers and daughters, old friends and new family found.
Rated PG-13 for some sex-related comments.
Box office gross: $143.7 million. View box office history.
Released by Universal. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Better alternatives to the gimmicky 'Grease Sing-A-Long'
- Chris Klein making lemonade from lemons?
- MTV Movie Awards markets movies (and gives out a few awards) (Updated)
- 'Twilight' leads nominees at 2009 MTV Movie Awards
- 'Slumdog' looks like a million bucks at Golden Globe Awards
- Golden Globes bestow nominations on a bunch of movies you haven't seen yet